Saturday, June 7, 2008

Band of Annuals

So for an odd reason, I have found 2 locals to post about for the first posts I have done. It is only odd because I never have been a huge fan of local music as it always seems halfway done. Also, it just seems to get a little boring.

This one is thanks to Taylor with whom I worked for the last 4 months at a local CD store. Taylor is a huge music fan, as are most who work with music. Taylor has a variety of things he gets in to, but it seems that a favorite is always the twang of some country. Artists in the alt-country genre like Whiskeytown and obviously their front man Ryan Adams (or as Will calls him "cRyan Adams"), The Avett Brothers and a ton that I had never heard before were always streaming throughout the store.

On a particular occasion, I decided to pay attention to a particularly interesting sounding band he was playing. This band was called "Band Of Annuals". Their sound was addictive. Beautiful harmonies and a feel of music of a past era. It starts with "Lessons Learned" which builds slowly and deliberately then transitions masterfully in to "Blood on My Shirt". This is such a great track and has a couple of my favorite lines from the album. Another stand-out favorite is "The Ballad of Casey Jones". It is haunting and just flat out amazing. "Ain't Lookin' Back" moves along with the rhythm of a railroad train. It sounds like I should be camping around a burning barrel with all my belongings tied up in a handkerchief on a stick eating beans out of a can all while waiting to hop on the next train. "Don't Let Me Die" is the big anthemic track of the album. It starts small and by the end it sounds like the whole band is belting out the chorus. I knew how catchy it must be when my kids were singing along to it.

So I started playing the album on a regular basis and 3 months later, it still gets better with every listen. The songs just beg you to sing along. They are mostly a somber feel, but perfect for a long drive or a rainy day or any other kind of day for that matter. Not only have I enjoyed it, but my wife & kids are also quite enamored with it, which is generally a good sign on my part.

The band is definitely at the forefront of the local folk & country scene in Salt Lake City. In addition to recently getting signed to Kilby Records, started by the owners of the famous Kilby Court venue, B.O.A. has started their own label Beartalk Records to help further the genre not only locally, but nationally. Already Dead Horse Point, David Williams, Chaz Prymek & Black Hens have signed to Beartalk. They have already released or slated to be released 3 records on the label.

Band Of Annuals are currently on tour, so check out their schedule to see when they may be in your neck of the woods. Also, check out their website to hear samples of their music. There is even a live radio EP to download for free. You will be glad you did.

You can buy it here!!!
Or if you are in Salt Lake, hit up Slowtrain.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Just letting you know Lee & I are here:)

Lee said he wants you to play the music. He's more of an audio person than a visual person:)

Is Slowtrain a new store? Never heard of if.