Thursday, June 5, 2008

My favorite Fisch


I am from the Salt Lake Area and I am also a huge fan of the hip-hop. That can prove to be a really hard combination at times, but there is an individual I know who is making that a whole lot easier.

Daniel Fischer is, in my mind, a musical genius. He can make a great pop track, a killer instrumental and his rhymes are poignant and easily relatable to the average listener. Maybe it is because can write a lyric that my 30 year old brain can actually wrap itself around.

Nonetheless he makes dope music. From the time the man himself gave me the album "She & I" by his former alias, Furthermore, I was hooked. The choruses were all sing song and super catchy, the lyrics were all very memorable. The whole thing was great. From then on, every time I have seen Fisch I make sure to ask him what he is working on and I have picked up everything I can get my hands on.

There have been a couple of incarnations that he has done in the meantime. He later made an album with another local producer, BriskOne. Brisk has worked with greats like Rasco & Planet Asia, so when I saw this project I had to pick it up. Later he rechristened himself as Daniel Tiger and started an instrumental project called Fisch Loops. He also made an album with Dego & DJ Shanty of The Numbs (another SLC hip hop group) called The Rotten Musicians.

The Daniel Tiger project is short & sweet coming in at about 15 minutes total. This could be my favorite release of the last year, regardless of genre. It has just the right blend of singing , rapping and instrumental. The first time I listened to it, I played it straight through 6 or 7 times. Pure musical gold.

Fisch Loops
is a little more widely recognized. I have found various reviews for the album. This has a masterful use of old kids television samples spice throughout that almost work as a narrative to the album. Other than the samples, the album is completely instrumental. It is very similar in feel to DJ Shadow's Endtroducing, but it totally has its own vibe. On the whole it is just amazing.


The Rotten Musicians
is a complete departure from everything else Fisch has done. It is dirtier and a little more raw. At first I wasn't sure I liked this side of him & I was kind of disappointed. But, being a true fan I stuck it out. Boy am I glad I did. This album is infecting my days. I find it so soothing and true to what I want to hear. It doesn't sound forced or contrived and I love it.

All in all this guy is just a great musician. He writes and produces nearly everything he does. The beats are delicious. If life could have an instrumental soundtrack, I would ask him to write me one. They are that good. The lyrics are not profanity-laced & over the top. I can actually relate to these. I get excited listening to these. Not only that, everyone that I have played it for does too.

The one and only problem is that he is not on a national label, so finding some of this may be a little difficult to find. But fear not...I have linked you to every possible place I know that may have any of this. You shall not be disappointed.

P.S. Fisch is also involved in the Julio Child project with Ebay Jamil (SLC). Check it out, too!

No comments: